Skip to content
SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH TERRAPIN WINE
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1/3 cup Linganore Terrapin white wine
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 oz Dubliner cheese, grated
- 2 slices (2 oz) Cooper Sharp White American Cheese (deli counter)
- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- 1 onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized pot, over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add flour and mix until smooth. Pour milk into flour/butter mix – medium-slow – so that the flour/butter mix doesn’t form clumps, but stirs into a smooth sauce. Add wine.
- Stir to make sure flour/butter mix is off the bottom and sides of the pot. Add Cooper Sharp cheese, and stir. Slowly add other cheese, stirring after each addition. Continue stirring until it becomes a smooth mixture. Once smoothed, increase the temp to medium and stir as heating the flour in the mixture will thicken the cheese sauce.
- Once it has thickened some (it shouldn’t be gloppy, but more the consistency of gravy). In the meantime, using a Mandolin grater, on the thinnest setting, slice 1 potato into the bottom of a small casserole dish. Pour a layer of cheese sauce over top of it. Then grate a layer of the onion. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Then you can add a little more cheese sauce if you would like. Then slice one more potato (you may need to add more than just one potato, maybe a potato and a half) and onion and put a layer of cheese sauce over that, season with a little salt and pepper if desired. Then one more layer of potato and onion and the last layer of cheese sauce and salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook for 30 min. You may cover this with Aluminum foil for 30 minutes, and then take the foil off for the last half hour to allow the top of the potatoes to get brown. Enjoy!