This Scalloped Potato recipe is easy to make and very tasty! We used Linganore’s Terrapin white wine to give it an extra bit of flavor.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup Linganore Terrapin white wine
- 8 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 oz Dubliner cheese, grated
- 2 slices (2 oz) Cooper Sharp White American Cheese (deli counter)
- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- 1 onion
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium sized pot, over medium low heat, melt butter. Add flour and mix until smooth. Pour milk into flour/butter mix – medium slow – so that the flour/butter mix doesn’t form clumps, but stirs into a smooth sauce. Add wine.
- Stir to make sure flour/butter mix is off the bottom and sides of pot. Add Cooper Sharp cheese, and stir. Slowly add other cheese, stirring after each addition. Continue stirring until it becomes a smooth mixture. Once it has, increase the temp to medium and stir as heating the flour in the mixture will thicken the cheese sauce.
- Once it has thickened some (it shouldn’t be gloppy, but the consistency of a gravy). In the meantime, using a Mandolin grater, on the thinnest setting, slice 1 potato into the bottom of small casserole dish. Pour a layer of cheese sauce over top of it. Then grate a layer of onion. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Then you can add a little more cheese sauce if you would like. Then slice one more potato (you may need to add more than just one potato, maybe a potato and a half) and onion and put a layer of cheese sauce over that, season with a little salt and pepper if desired. Then one more layer of potato and onion and the last layer of cheese sauce and salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook for 30 min. You may cover this with Aluminum foil for a half hour, and then take the foil off for the last half hour to allow the top of the potatoes to get brown. Enjoy!