CHESTNUT STUFFING WITH WHITE RAVEN WINE
LIZ SHARES HER PERSONAL FAVORITE STUFFING RECIPE
Need a new stuffing recipe for your holiday? We’ve got one just for you! This flavorful recipe made with chestnuts is an Italian classic, although, of course, Liz has added her own twist to the recipe! If you can’t find them locally, chestnuts can be purchased online, or some Asian markets carry them this time of the year.
- Chestnuts – 1 cup unpeeled, then roasted as below.
- ½ of 1 package herbed bread crumbs (white or white/whole wheat. Not corn stuffing) (makes stuffing for 6-8 people, generous portions)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, leaves also if you have them, chopped
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored, chopped into ½“ cubes
- ½ cup Linganore White Raven (If you are keeping the rest of the bottle of White Raven for Thanksgiving dinner, once opened, pour out the ½ cup and recork immediately and then put in the refrigerator to keep the flavors fresh)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs – chopped into ½“ or larger pieces
- 1 link Italian sausage, mild (optional for vegetarians)
- 1 link Italian sausage, hot (optional for vegetarians)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ – ½ cup raisins (optional)
- Cook eggs beforehand and let cool.
- Cook both sausage links beforehand by taking them out of the casing and breaking them into chunks before cooking. Then cook sausage chunks in a pan over medium heat until done. Let cool.
- Cook Chestnuts beforehand by scoring an “x” on one side with a knife and cook in an oven or toaster oven on 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Cool and peel the shell off. Chop into quarters. If you’d like to see a demonstration of cooking chestnuts, go to: https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-roast-chestnuts-in-oven-4113870
- For the stuffing: Pour herbed bread crumb mixture into a large bowl and add milk. Let sit while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients, tossing occasionally.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the oil and butter. When hot, add the onions and celery, sage, thyme, poultry seasoning, and pepper. Cook until somewhat soft, 5 minutes. Add apples and cook for a few minutes. Add White Raven, turn heat up to high, and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Add all of this to the breadcrumb/milk bowl and mix. Chop the sausage into bite-sized pieces, but not ground-up size pieces, add to breadcrumb bowl. Add eggs and chestnuts to the breadcrumb bowl.
- Add raisins if desired. If making this beforehand, if the mix is not spicy enough, add more sage (1/2 tsp) and black pepper (1/4 tsp) at a time and let sit. Enjoy with your turkey dinner and White Raven that is leftover!