Harvest Cellar Hand
Job Location: Mount Airy, MD
Overview: Established in 1971, Linganore Winecellars is a family owned vineyard and winery located on 230 acres in Mount Airy, Maryland. We are seeking an organized, self-motivated individual who is interested in the wine making industry and possesses knowledge and experience to successfully fulfill all job functions.
Type of Work: 8-12 hour shifts 5-7 days per week. Additional evening and weekend work will be required as needed.
Timing: August 2021 – November 2021, with the possibility of vineyard work starting in May 2021, if qualified and interested. Full-time, year-round work might be available to the successful candidate. Decisions regarding permanent employment will be made in November 2021.
The successful candidate will report to the winemakers, permanent cellar leaders, and ownership and will focus on supporting all cellar activities, including:
- Assist in all phases of winery activities such as harvest, crush, fermentation, pump over, racking, wine and juice movement, blending, shoveling pomace from tanks, bottling, etc.
- Clean/sanitize tanks, barrels, and winery equipment.
- Operate cellar equipment such as pumps, presses, crushers, etc.
- Safely operate the forklift to move barrels and case goods.
- Properly use and handle winery chemicals and additives.
- Understand and follow all winery safety procedures.
- Assist with special events as needed.
- Follow and complete work assignments.
- Climb ladders, carry, drag, and lift empty, full, or pressurized wine hoses and attach with clamp fitting to tanks, pumps, transfer lines or tank washers to transfer wine, juice, must, rinse water or cleaning solutions.
- Operate pressure washer to clean cellar floors, equipment, and tank pads.
- General cellar housekeeping: prepare necessary cleaning solutions, sweep, clean cellar floors, chemical storage safety and winery grounds. Keep warehouse areas in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Be an active and positive member of the team and work to support team members.
- Reliable, possess a good work ethic and have the desire to develop skills to advance in the workplace
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions in English.
- Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Able to work standing up and walk on concrete surfaces for extended periods of time daily.
- Able to work any shift and overtime as needed.
- Mechanical aptitude is a plus.
- Degree in Enology, Viticulture, or a related field a plus
- Forklift experience a plus
- Experience working in a winery or related workplace a plus
Salary Information: $15 to $17 per hour, depending on experience
Interested applicants should forward your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org